What is a subsidiary company?
Table of Contents
Subsidiaries are created when it is necessary to expand the activities of the main firm. A subsidiary company in Singapore is an affiliate of a major public firm. Such a firm can only operate under the leadership of the parent (parent) firm since the subsidiary company Singapore was originally created with the parent firm’s funds, or the agreement specifies that the affiliate firm is subordinate to the parent firm. Therefore, the subsidiary is not responsible for the parent firm’s actions, whatever they may be. The parent firms are responsible for the affiliate to the state and its regulatory authorities since it fully manages their activities.
A subsidiary firm was created as a legal entity by another firm (founder) by transferring part of its property to it under full economic jurisdiction. The subsidiary’s founder approves the firm’s charter, appoints its head, and exercises other owner’s rights with the affiliate, provided for by the legislative acts on the firm.
What is a subsidiary company? An affiliate is an organization, and the parent holds 20% of its shares. The leading advantage of the primary firm over its daughter is the ability to make decisions in all its work. It is believed that it is necessary to hold more than 3% of the shares of a subsidiary company to participate in full decision-making in its activities. A controlling stake (over 50% of shares) provides some leading advantages, but to participate in the work of an organization, it is necessary to own approximately 5% of its shares.
How to start up a new company?
Subsidiary company registration has many pluses and reasons for opening a firm in this particular country.
- Among Asian countries, this country is the most competitive country for doing business, with the simplest subsidiary company registration rules. It is a country with constant growth, practically without corruption, with a very well-structured system of work and a truly modern infrastructure system. The industrial center is called Block 71 and, according to many experts, is the place with the most startups: there are hundreds of them.
- Due to its strategic location in the heart of Asia, it is an excellent base for subsidiary company registration and entry into a market of at least 600 million young people under 35 with attractive economic opportunities.
- The economy is considered one of the freest in the world. In just 50 years, Singaporeans’ per capita income jumped from $ 300 to $ 90,000. The quality of life is very high; it is a safe, modern country with a stable geopolitical situation and one of the richest in the Asian region.
- This country is legally a city-state. It covers an area of
about 720 square kilometers and has a population of over 5 million. One Singapore dollar, SGP, costs about $ 1.4. There are more than 60 islands in total, but the administrative and commercial center is the megalopolis of Singapore.
- The population of Singapore includes over 40% of foreign workers, of which 50% work in the service sector. English is the franc’s language for work, making it ideal for entrepreneurs who stick to English.
- The decision to open a firm in this Asian state is an excellent choice because this country is the fourth largest financial center globally, plays a significant role in international finance and trade, and its port is the fifth largest in the world in terms of traffic.
- This country is also known for its strange laws, which impose very strict sanctions on compliance. For example, it is forbidden to throw cigarette butts on the ground, create groups of more than four people on the street, and not cross the corresponding pedestrian crossing. The police, even in plain clothes, are constantly present, and the press has limited freedom.
Why is it convenient to register a subsidiary firm?
This country is a jewel of technology, from the world’s first Airlines to the world’s best healthcare and infrastructure. The most advanced sectors are logistics, biomedicine, and electronics. Suffice it to say that cash payments have practically disappeared, here you pay for everything by credit card.
How to start up a new company, and why is registering a subsidiary firm convenient?
- The government has concluded bilateral agreements with 76 countries around the world to avoid double taxation. But besides this, in general, the government offers a very accessible system, the legal bureaucracy is minimized, and there is no elite regime, as in other states.
- This country is also home to most of the global banks and supports foreign capital investment. Much attention is paid to the protection of innovation and intellectual property due to the strict copyright laws.
- The country is very active in terms of financial assistance, and there is an opportunity to access both capital and financing through cash payments, business incubators, and debt financing.
- How to start up a new company? You do not have to go in person to open a firm; you just need to contact a specialized agency and send all the documentation by e-mail and pay by bank transfer or PayPal.
For which industries is a register a subsidiary firm suitable?
Given the country’s high technological specialization, the sectors of biomedicine, chemistry, and industrial engineering are ideal. All service companies find an excellent environment for development here, and catering, especially Italian, should be avoided as it is very common and overblown.
The best way to start a company is to do it remotely without applying for a residence permit. The cost of living in this country is very high, and the population density is one of the highest in the world. It is not recommended to open financial companies related to the local press, education, and hazardous substances, because in this case, the control is very strict.
Singapore tax system. VAT is 7%. The taxes applied to individuals range from 0 to 20% with a brace system. Singapore-based companies have a tax rate of 17%, which becomes 10% if it is an international firm. Companies are also not taxed on dividends, bank interest, inheritance, or capital gains. In addition, startups receive full tax exemption on income up to $ 100,000 for the first three years.
Company characteristics. There are many types of companies in this country but registered limited companies are most common for foreign investors. Besides the initial capital paid at the time of incorporation, shareholders of this type of firm are not liable for debts incurred by the company. On average, opening a firm takes only two days.
Requirements for starting a firm
- The text that governs corporate rules is called the Singapore Companies Act and requires the appointment of a qualified accountant within six months of registering a firm.
- The minimum paid-up share capital is 1 dollar (SGD).
- The headquarters of the firm should be opened.
- Requires at least one director and one resident partner.
- It is obligatory to open a current multi-currency account.
- To register a company, you need to hire a local agency. This process is fully automated and managed by the Registrar of Companies.
- After registration, a registration fee must be paid: for SRL, the cost is approximately 185 euros.
Benefits of starting a firm:
- There is a flat tax of 17%.
- The government does not carry out special checks.
- Foreign branches are not required to maintain accounts
- VAT 7%.
What documents are required to open a firm?
- Notarized copy of your passport
- Proof of Residence as proof of your residential address
- Fill out a simple questionnaire with a brief description of the activities and the company’s name, the name of the director, and shareholders.
- Founding Act and Statute (MAA).
In practice, a very large proportion of entrepreneurs build their activities using several operators of business processes. Pseudo-holding formations with blurred centers of control are being created, pursuing the goals of both tax optimization and protection from hostile takeovers. But the tools for building business processes are best used for their intended purpose. The creation of subsidiaries allows you to build a system of control over the business. This is why they need to be used.